Learning the laws regulating the use of firearms is a must for responsible ownership. Local regulations differ and laws vary from state to state. Citizens must check with the jurisdiction where the gun is to be used.
The Sheriff and his staff are required to follow strict state guidelines when performing the necessary background checks for Concealed Handgun Permits. Due to the nature of the detailed due diligence, appointment times and processing times can take multiple weeks. During the application process, you will be asked to schedule an appointment (for New and Renewal Concealed Handgun Permits). Please note that you will be asked to pay now to reserve your appointment.
Concealed Handgun Permits must be obtained from the county sheriff of your county of residence.
If you are RENEWING a Concealed Handgun Permit, you MUST apply no more than 90 days PRIOR to the expiration date.
- A New Concealed Handgun Permit costs $90.00, which includes the $10.00 fingerprinting fee.
- A Renewal Concealed Handgun Weapon costs $75.00
- An Address Change CHP application costs $4 for the convenience fee
- A Duplicate CHP costs $15
- Appointments for Concealed Handgun Permits and Renewals will be processed between 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday.
- Click the "Let's get Started" button to apply for a permit.
Please visit the below website for further information regarding NC Firearms Laws and reciprocity:
NC Firearms Laws
Gaining competency with firearms is like learning to drive a car or fly an airplane. You need expert instruction and practice. There is no shortcut. If you are not willing to invest the time and effort to become competent, then having a firearm and trying to use it can, in many instances, be more hazardous than any impending threat.
Concealed Handgun Permit Information